We have figured out how to purchase a tram ticket, buy enough milk to keep from running out on Sunday and adjusted to the sounds of living with the bells of Heilbronn, though I still count every time they ring. The air shipment arrived several days ago and it looks like a lot when in boxes, but not much when it's been unpacked. Though most of it was toys for DJ, the most important part was the Thomas the Tank Engine inflatable sleeping bag which he LOVES. We are all sleeping better.
Spending as much time as we can getting things ready at our new home which we have nicknamed the sandbox apartment to help DJ keep the two straight. Home is an idea very much in flux right now. DH and I are working to firm it up as much as we can so that when beds arrive, we will be ready to go.
Having eaten there three times already, we are on our way to being regulars at an Italian cafe in Feuerbach which is down the meandering road on the way to the train station. The owner is friendly, the food is delicious and DJ likes the rigatoni with tomato sauce so everyone is happy. Thank you, Da Nello! Of course we have also been to Old McDonald's for happy meals with pommes (french fries) a few times too.
With about 40 hours of German lessons under my belt, I'm really in awe of anyone that is multi-lingual. I seldom understand what people are saying to me, but did have a small conversation with a lady at the tram stop about DJ, language training and her sister who lives in California - at least I think that's what she said. I am having trouble keeping straight my two's (zwei) and my three's (drei), but it's coming along. How long does the immersion method take? Meine Deutsch ist nicht so gut!
At last I have a phone! After a visit to Vodafone with DH, we both have German cell phones. They are now charging up and I'm looking forward to texting and calling and downloading apps and whatever else the thing will let me do. The internet connection with the temporary apartment is weak and unreliable so this is going to make life a lot easier.
Tomorrow is market day so DJ and I will get some fresh fruit there and then we'll take the sand toys out to play. Hoping to hit OBI again (a cross between Meijer and Home Depot) to get more light fixtures and maybe swing by Feuerbach in the afternoon/evening tomorrow.
What I miss most about the USA? air conditioning
What I love most about Germany? Donner (a Turkish gyro with cabbage, sauce and tomatoes in a pocket pita)
photo: from our apartment window - Heilbronn Rathaus clock which is over 500 years old

No comments:
Post a Comment