09 August 2011

Just Plain YUMMY!

I've been away too long amid more boxes than I can count, but the end is drawing near...well, closer anyway.  But onto something even better...

Having been to the OBI (much like a Home Depot with the pet fish department at Meijer), we decide to have dinner at the place around the corner.  Hello Wichtel Hausbrauerei, where have you been all this time?  Not only does DH rave about the beer, but they have amazing pizza called Ofenfrische Wichtelkucken.  A8: Rahm, Kaese, Speck, Sauerkraut, Schnupfnudeln, Deb reziner.  To sum up, it's cheese pizza without tomato sauce with sausage, sauerkraut and long potato noodles.  
It is so delicious that we went back the next night and had it again, that's right two in a row!  We ate inside the next night and it was just a lovely as outside so we have another good eats with two thumbs up.  The pizza does take awhile to come as they are made fresh to order, but all the more time for beer.


While Germans take good ole beer and pizza to a new level, they don't really do ice cream all that well.  Actually, they do make exotic and delicious flavors...such as green apple...it isn't the smooth creamy stuff I prefer.  More like a Gelato Sorbet than actual ice cream.  They do only call it Eis (ice) so maybe the cream part isn't as big a deal?  Fortunately, DJ thinks it is just fine and why not when it comes looking like a bumblebee complete with little paper umbrella and cookie wings?  His smile says it all I think.  :)
I was also smiling big as the coca-cola I ordered came with a glass which is standard here, but the glass was filled with ice cubes!  It's the first time that has happened and I didn't even ask...the waiter must have known we were Americans.  Sometimes I forget that we stick out like a sore thumb to the natives as I'm getting used to the staring and have even started making eye contact without smiling since they don't smile back.  (I've heard that it is viewed as weakness or a simple mind here.  Maybe it's just city living?)  

DH has a meeting in Cologne on Thursday and will take a vacation day Friday so DJ and I are tagging along for a long weekend away.  We plan to take the train instead of drive so DJ will be very happy about that.  He still gets so excited when our train pulls up...so cute!

What I miss most about the USA:  My mom and dad...love you.        
What I love most about Germany:  Almost never hearing the neighbors even though we live in a building with six other households.      
            

No comments:

Post a Comment